UX Designer | Photographer
I am a UX Researcher and Designer with 18 years of experience as a photography business owner. In running the business, I learned how to take the overall vision of the client and translate that into actionable steps to reach their goal. I am an adept listener with an ability to meet people where they are. I adore expressive storytelling, organization, structure, collaboration, and learning. My great love of people comes through in interactions with team members and clients.
User RESEARCHER: OPEN DATA NATION
05/2018 - present
- Discovering key takeaways and actionable items from interviews.
- Open Data Nation takes open data records from cities and aggregates them into platforms for cities and insurers to mitigate risk.
UX RESEARCH CONSULTANT: GENERAL ASSEMBLY
01/2018 - 04/2018
- Researched apparent disconnect between global team and local instructors of technology school.
- Conducted interviews of global team members and local instructors.
- Facilitated synthesis in the form of affinity mapping and personas.
- Provided suggested solutions for creation + updates of teaching materials and onboarding of new instructors.
UX Consultant: Thank Heaven
12/2017 - 01/2018
- Researched customer buying patterns for a local children’s boutique. Conducted interviews and created surveys; synthesized results from 12 interviews and 70 survey respondents. Conducted market research on competitive businesses.
- Created primary and secondary personas.
- Designed mid-fidelity and high-fidelity wireframes and prototypes.
- Conducted 2 rounds of usability testing and design iterations. Increased success rate with users from 88% to 97%.
- Presented designs to client and developers.
- Directed web developers in design.
Founder and Principal Photographer: Emily DeWan Photography
03/2000 - present
- Founded a photography business offering services to families and businesses. Offerings include business headshots, corporate events, children & pet portraits, day-in-the-life family sessions, and weddings.
- Source clients through networking, referrals, cross-promotions, and advertising.
- Use strong communication skills to make clients feel comfortable.
- Color-correct, edit, and deliver final images to clients.
- Design albums and other heirloom products for families.
- Manage bookkeeping and administrative records.
- Manage company website.
- Corporate Clients Include: Heron Financial, Safe Passage Neuromonitoring, Elmhurst College, Tidal Wave Marketing, Mommybites.
Freelance Photoshop Retoucher and Digital Technician
03/2000 - 10/2017
- Creation and implementation of streamlined workflow for commercial photography shoots to edit, color correct, organize, and back up digital files.
- On-site photographic retouching in Photoshop under direction of clients.
- Clients: Warling Studios, David Bishop Photography, Sladcik-Wheeler Photography, Dream On Studio.
User Research & Synthesis
Completed immersive program in User Experience Design + Research
B.S. Cinema & Photography
Partner dancing (Lindy Hop, Blues, Balboa, Fusion)
Animal Welfare (Trap-Neuter-Return Certified)
Pet adoption portrait photography
Former barbershop chorus singer